Badly damaged by the sea, the castle was in very poor repair when Roland de Gourfaleur bought and restored it, from 1582. After the dismantling in 1637, the housing was re-established, but having lost any military role, the castle retained only a residential and agricultural function. In the 19th century, it was made more habitable and the west wall was opened with windows with a view of the sea. The outbuildings were successively used as marble works then in the mid 20th century as a ship yard.
> Why were the window openings on the west side valued in the 19th century ?
Answer : The castle became a residential habitation in the 19th century and a sea view was highly sought after.