The creation of the project
A wait of 25 years was needed before the opening of this line, recognized as having local interest as early as 1877. The project was to facilitate commercial trade and transport between the port of Regnéville and the town of Coutances, having been connected to the national rail network since 1879. The Orval – Regnéville railway line was inaugurated in 1902.
Three stations, a bridge spanning the Sienne, cuttings and embankments bordered route of the line over about 8.5 kilometres, completed in a little less than 20 minutes. Regnéville station is wholly constructed on an embankment and protected from the sea by a dyke.