The medieval castle
The layout of the medieval castle is known thanks to the archaeological digs from 1991 to 1993. This uncovered evidence of the presence of an inner ward starting from the south-east corner of the castle, surrounding the keep. The layout dating from the 14th century, only remained for a short time due to successive wars and sieges in 1378, 1418 and 1449. Following this troubled medieval period, only the ruin of the keep, a vaulted cellar to the north of the outer ward and a few foundations exist today.